How to separate his voice from all the other noise.
I was the guest speaker last week for a group of college students heading into various types of ministry. A common question I get is this… “There are so many needs and so many different ways I could make a difference in the world, how can I know which one to choose?”
Principles to confirm or determining God’s will for me:
(Assuming you’re walking with the Lord and developing yourself regularly.)
– I’m a living sacrifice. My current lifestyle is becoming more like Christ. Not just in the external markers, but with the internal heart. (Rom 12:1-2)
– What I want to do lines up with God’s heart and Word.
– I’ve pursued God’s heart through prayer and meditation.
– My decisions aren’t driven by emotion
– Pure motives.
– Hormones are not involved. (If someone says, “God told me I’m gonna marry you,” RUN the other way. They are either delusional or manipulating you using spirituality.)
– My internal hardwiring supports this decision. (You have the skills, personality etc… to be successful with this decision).
– This direction is confirmed by others skilled and experienced in the field you want to pursue. Thinkabout the bad American Idol singers…sometimes people just need to hear the truth!
Here are some things that are NOT helpful in determining God’s will:
– Emotional drive.
– Anything involved in your love or relationship life.
– Doors opening with no other above indicators supporting it.
– Any above indicators by itself.
Finding God’s will is all about what you become. Not what you hear. It’s not what you do…it’s who you are. When you practice the presence of God then it becomes more plain when God is and when He’s not speaking to you.