How to separate his voice from all the other noise.
As a pastor, one of the most common questions I’m asked is “How can I know what God’s plans are for me?” Discovering God’s plan must start with the foundation of regular personal development and spiritual formation.
Personal development – working daily on skills, attitudes and aptitudes that help you succeed in life.
Areas for personal development:
▪ Building character
▪ Sales skills (everyone is in sales!)
▪ Specific skills for your industry and interests
▪ People skills
▪ Physical health
▪ Social interaction
▪ Intellectual stimulation (read some non-fiction daily besides just the news!)
▪ Emotional maturity
Spiritual Formation – Daily walking with Christ, practicing listening to His voice.
Methods for improving my listening skills!
▪ Journaling (real men journal…no “diaries” allowed!)
▪ Slow reading of scripture (read until something grabs you, then chew on it all day!)
▪ Sitting in silence
▪ Asking God for direction, then just sit still and listen.
Here’s the bottom line when it comes to knowing God’s plan for you. There are some very plain things that we all know we should be doing. Taking care of our emotional, intellectual, social, physical and financial health are all clearly things God desires for us. Take care of what He’s you before you expect to hear more from Him.
Charles Tremendous Jones- “You are the same today you’ll be in five years except for two things: the people you meet and the books you read.”
Note: This post was written circa 2011 and migrated over in 2017. ~ Steven Earp, 2018/11/12